ElderCare Online    The ElderCare Forum    The ElderCare Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Homecare & Independent Living    Getting urine smell out of clothes & bed pads

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Getting urine smell out of clothes & bed pads
 Login/Join

posted
After a LONG time and lots of trying, I have found a way to get rid of almost all the urine smell in clothes and bedpads. It is a homemade solution of borax, Arm & Hammer SUPER WASHING SODA (which is sodium CARBONATE)and Fels-Naptha soap. These are all fairly available and very inexpensive. Grate 1/6 of the Fels-Naptha bar. Take 3qts boiling water and dissolve the fels-naptha gratings. Slowly add 1/3 cup borax then 1/3C washing soda (do not mix ahead of time). Mix well and leave for 24hrs. It will gel. Stir and put in an old liquid detergent bottle. Before each wash put 1C vinegar directly in the washer (mine is a HE front load), then the clothes. Shake well and fill with detergent to fill line and put vinegar in the fabric softner side. Start the wash (longest/hottest), let it wash a bit, then pause it for an hour or more, then complete the cycle. If you want to use fabric softener, do so in the dryer as you need the vinegar in the wash and rinse! Let me know if you try it and how it works for you!!

Picture of Moms_Buddy
posted Hide Post
Sherbear, I replied to your post in the other location you posted this question. Check here:
http://eldercare.infopop.cc/ev...700091956#2700091956 Smile

"She ain't heavy; she's my mother."
Mom got her wings 11/18/2008

Posts: 4573 | Location: SE LA | Registered: August 12, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
ok, I made the mistake of washing and then drying without checking to see if the smell was gone. Any ideas now? I am new at this and at a total loss. I will try vinegar and baking soda to see if that helps. Thanks for all these posts. This is going to be one of my bookmarked sites.

Picture of Moms_Buddy
posted Hide Post
We have a great Sticky Tip for Laundry in the "Daily Challenges Forum" you might want to peek at and post your tips to...
http://eldercare.infopop.cc/ev...6016051/m/7861054135

"She ain't heavy; she's my mother."
Mom got her wings 11/18/2008

Posts: 4573 | Location: SE LA | Registered: August 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
Thanks ArLeeKay3, Welcome to ECO (eldercare on line). New laundry hints are always handy. Some of the members keep a med sized plastic trash bin (with lid) handy and soak things in something similar until wash time. I loved a product called Odo-Ban that I got from Sam's. It has a Eucalyptus scent and went in the rinse water as well as diluted in a spray bottle for where ever.

Nice meeting you.

* the crystal ball (*) is in the shop>>>>Mom's wings..11/12/2009

Posts: 5501 | Location: Appalachia | Registered: January 13, 2007Report This Post