ElderCare Online    The ElderCare Forum    The ElderCare Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Legal, Financial & Insurance Matters    Losing private room due to Medicaid status?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Losing private room due to Medicaid status?
 Login/Join

<&lt;lagiles&gt;>
posted
Hi everyone-
My mother is in a nursing home. After a year's wait, we were finally able to secure her a private room. We have been paying her nursing home bills through the sale of her house. But now, her assets are gone and we need to go to Medicaid status. This first thing that the Social Worker at her facility told me when I requested that we go to to Medicaid was "she's going to lose her private room". We had inquired about this even before my mom transferred to the private room, knowing that in about a year we would need Medicaid. But the administrator at that time told us that she wouldn't lose her room, and, in fact, gave us a letter indicating that moving her would be Medicaid discrimination. However, this administrator is no longer at the facility, and the facility has been "sold" twice. Should I have any worry that we will be able to keep the private room? Anyone else been in this situation? Thanks!

Report This Post
<&lt;Dawn&gt;>
posted
When I moved Gram to a nursing home, it was stated up front that if she ever had to go on Medicare, she'd lose her private room. Seems like they might have inconsistencies in their management.

Somebody told me once that a semi-private room could lead to a healthier social outlook, but I know at that age privacy is most cherished.

I feel like I'm not really helping, but that was my situation.

Dawn

Report This Post
Picture of Edyth Ann
posted Hide Post
lagiles,

They can only move her if there is a Medicaid bed available if I remember correctly. It is Medicaid that calls the shots though and not the care facility.

Posts: 3168 | Location: Riverside, OH | Registered: September 14, 2000Report This Post
<janier>
posted
Yep, they will lose that private room when Medicaid kicks in ... unless you pay the extra to keep your LO in the private room. That's what we chose to do with my Dad, #1 - since he was "accustomed" to it and #2 - because he would yell out at night and would have disturbed the other person.

Report This Post